The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration has recently changed the procedure for adding a beneficiary to a vehicle title.
The MVA is no longer using Form VR 471 to designate a beneficiary of a vehicle. There is now the option of adding a beneficiary to your title via the MVA's website, which can be accessed using the following link: Vehicle Beneficiary Designation (see the last option under Vehicle Services on the left hand side).
You can complete the online process and receive a new title that designating your beneficiary. This transaction will void any previously issued titles. The fee for adding, deleting, or changing a beneficiary is Twenty Dollar ($20.00). You will need to provide the title number, Maryland driver's license or ID number and date of birth. The form must be completed in full prior to the death of the vehicle owner.
Further requirements and instructions to add beneficiary are as follows:
• The vehicle must be solely owned and currently titled in Maryland
• Only one beneficiary can be named; which can either be an individual or business entity
• Beneficiary must be designated prior to the death of the vehicle owner. A corrected title will be mailed to the vehicle owner displaying “Beneficiary on File.”
• A beneficiary may be added if a vehicle is subject to a lien. When the vehicle is being transferred, all liens must be satisfied, or have a letter of permission to change ownership to the beneficiary.
• The designation of a beneficiary does not affect the ownership of the vehicle until the death of the owner of the vehicle.
• The owner of the vehicle may cancel or change designation of a beneficiary at any time without the consent of the beneficiary.
• Once a beneficiary is designated, the corrected title will be delivered to the vehicle owner. All previously issued titles will be void.